Malay Mail October 21st 2017 WHEN some former students of St Xavier’s Institution heard that blind singer and schoolmate Alfred Ho was busking for a living in Kuala Lumpur, they wasted no time in trying to help him. He was invited by the Old Xaverians Association and the Class of 66/68 to sing at their annual function in Penang. Class of 66/68 spokesman Quah Boo Hock said they invited Ho to perform when they heard what he was doing. “When we heard Ho was busking in Kuala Lumpur, we invited him to perform at this dinner as a way of helping him out. “He is also a Xaverian and his songs are of our era and we would love to hear these hits that he was famous for performing.” His voice strong as ever, Ho belted out favourite oldies by Elvis Presley, Cliff Richard, The Beatles, Del Shannon, Paul Anka, Neil Sedaka, and The Bee Gees with some contemporary tunes thrown in for the benefit of the younger members of his audience. His motivation to sing and entertain has not diminished over the years and many sang along tunes that reminded them of their younger days. The 68-year-old, who became blind at the age of three due to measles, is aided by his wife Rufina Baptist during his performances. Born in Perak, Ho spent most of his younger days at the St Nicholas Home for the Blind when he became blind. Ho studied at the home until primary level and continued his secondary studies at the school in Farquhar Street. He started to play the guitar at St Nicholas when he heard some of the residents playing in a band. “I borrowed the guitar while some of the boys were not playing and slowly taught myself to play the guitar until I reached a level where they urged me to play and sing for them.” He was bitten by the music bug and has not stopped since. After completing his secondary studies, he waded straight into the Penang local music scene, playing in bars and pubs picking up a sizeable fan base along the way. Not satisfied, he decided to go to Kuala Lumpur in the early 1970s and entered the popular Bakat TV talent contest. He made it to the semi-finals in 1971. “Not bad for an amateur, who was also facing the television camera addressing a national audience and suddenly, I had some fame and fans,” he said. He returned to Penang in the late 1970s where he secured a job as a telephone operator with the then Penang Municipal Council while moonlighting as a deejay and singer at the local pubs and nightspots. But holding two jobs was taking a toll on his health and he decided to go full-time as an entertainer. His talent was spotted by a record company and Ho returned to Kuala Lumpur in the mid-1980s to cut five English albums and one Chinese album with moderate success. “It was a risk when I took the plunge but I have no regrets as nothing ventured, nothing gained though the success I had hoped for eluded me,” he said. “I can’t say I have been successful or popular but I have not stopped playing regularly.” He has not lost his ambition and his dream to perform overseas but he needs an agent who can help him realise his goals. “You must believe in yourself but if I don’t succeed, I don’t blame anyone,” he added. “You must work hard at your God-given talent and exploit it to the fullest, putting your heart and soul into what your are doing. I will give up when my health fails me.” Ho has been busking at the AK Busk Stop in the Avenue K mall in Kuala Lumpur. “I don’t feel ashamed as it’s like a practise session for me, and people from all walks of life can hear me,” he said. “Keeping my mind sharp and active is important as it also helps to keep the body healthy.

No comments: