THE STAR (STARTWO) - FRIDAY 3RD JULY 2009

Onward, Ho!

By N. RAMA LOHAN


The road’s been rough, but Alfred Ho’s burning desire to share the gift of music continues to spur him on.

ATTEMPTING to understand renowned local musician Alfred Ho’s predicament is simply impossible. Sure, he barely has a complaint about being blind and reaps an inordinate amount of joy by simply strumming his guitar and singing to an appreciative audience … and getting paid for the joy he loves sharing with his listeners.

But for those reading this (we who are bestowed with the gift of sight), we could never fathom what it’s like to be blind. It’s not quite like walking on a nature trail for a few hours in a cave or sitting in a dark room for a few quiet moments. Psychologically, we know we are still going to be able to see once we’re in the light or the lights are switched on.


Live energy: Local musician Alfred Ho’s greatest joy has been to perform before a live audience.

Ho has had a chequered career, though, from being an upstart on RTM’s Bakat TV in the early 1970s (when Jamali Shadat officially became the nation’s best loved funnyman), through his many years plying the pub circuit, right up to his current weekly stint (every Tuesday) at OlSkool Bistro on Jalan Gasing, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

The corporate circuit was a healthy source of income for the musician who turns 60 on July 9, but he has fallen on hard times. “The lack of a manager has been my setback. I can talk and perhaps sell myself, but I am not mobile. Besides, very little is about talent these days … it seems to be more about marketability. I have faith in my ability, though. I believe I am good. In fact, my new policy has been to tell myself that I am good,” he says, his spirit clearly unbroken.

A rousing rendition of The Beatles’ (he likes Paul best) Lady Madonna at the Yamaha music store in Mid Valley Mega Mall (where the picture on the right was taken) in KL was enough to have store staff, manager and customers clapping and singing along.

“Music is in my blood. I love to play the guitar … and it’s good to have an appreciative audience.”

A ex-schoolmate named Benjamin taught a then 12-year-old Ho to play the instrument. “I used to be very jealous of him,” Ho guilty admits with a smile.

Ho has had a flair for music since he was a child (he lost his sight when he was three following a bout of measles). “I used to hear old Chinese songs from my neighbour’s radio. I learned to play the harmonica, ukulele … and than I made a tin-can guitar.”

His first proper six-string – a Suzuki acoustic – was a birthday present from his late brother. “It was a good guitar; perfect for playing all those songs in the mid-60s by The Beatles and Cliff Richard.”

Ho admits that envy of these singers spurred him onto his craft. “I joined a talent-time competition in school.” He would also form his band, The Sharks, then. “We played mainly instrumentals,” he says, citing The Shadows as a particular favourite.

“Then someone got us a show at a theatre one day, and I remember my knees shaking,” he fondly reminisces.

His initial career as a telephone operator sidetracked his musical pursuit momentarily.

“It was taking a toll on me. I was playing in the pubs in Penang until 1am, then I’d have to report to work the next day at 6am ... it was really tough. But the minute I was on the bandstand, I would be alive again and just love it.”

Stints at the now defunct Rediffusion (a nod to programme manager Royston Goh and Patrick Teoh) and his semi-final qualification for Bakat TV saw his stock rise. Then there were the string of TV show appearances on variety programmes like Hiburan Malam Minggu and Serbaneka. College gigs had him reaching out to a younger audience as well.

His recording career took off after Bakat TV, though. Armed with a taste for artistes like Cliff Richard, Elvis Presley, Marty Robbins, The Beatles, The Bee Gees, The Eagles, The Cascades, Connie Francis and a string of others, Ho was treated to the hallowed words, “Roll tape!”

“My first record was with Malaysian Musical Industries (MMI). My manager then, Stanley Joseph, whose father was the secretary to the minister of information then, (now Tun) Ghazali Shafie, helped me get into Bakat TV, and after that, the recording project came along. I recorded two EPs with MMI,” recalls the Perakian. The EPs included a mix of originals and covers. Some of his self-penned compositions included Train to Tennessee and Wendy’s Love Song.

Through the years, Ho has continued to record whenever opportunities have presented themselves. His greatest joy, though, has been to perform before a live audience. “It’s always nice when the audience participates,” he says appreciatively.

Perhaps there is a law of compensation at play where Ho’s blindness is concerned. While he may not be able to see, his sense of hearing and memory power are remarkable. Strum a chord on a guitar in front of him and there’s a good chance he’ll know what it is.

Ho also tried his hand at being a DJ but the short stint ended rather unceremoniously. “I would like to write a book to share some of my experiences ... good and bad, with people. I would especially like to reach out to parents of children with disabilities like blindness, and educate them on how to best care for their children and what potential problems they could face along the way,” he shares graciously.

His education may be nothing to brag about (he only completed Form 3), but Ho has some of the most irresistible and irrepressible qualities – he has the heart and stomach to do what he loves most, even when the going has been tough.

He is simply looking for opportunities to share his music.

“I play a variety of styles and am truly proud of this diversity. My talent is my product,” shares the singer, who sings in Bahasa Malaysia, various Chinese dialects, Spanish and Japanese, among others.

Ho’s requests are simple; he seeks a manager to help him with employment; he hopes to have some video footage of his performances up on the Internet, write a book to share his experiences and perhaps his most significant, to one day have a cafe of his own to perform at.

For those looking to give back, giving Ho a chance could be a worthwhile exercise in seeking inner happiness or contributing to the betterment of society. If it’s simply his music that entices, then head over to OlSkool Bistro on Tuesday nights where he waits to simply entertain.

Alfred Ho can be contacted at % 03-7984 8560 / 016-635 9800 or e-mail: alfredho.music@gmail.com

No comments: