Letter to Fong Chan Onn - Part 1

Kepada : Yang Berhormat,
Datuk Fong Chan Onn,
Menteri Sumber Manusia,
Kementerian Sumber Manusia,
Aras 2, Blok B Utara,
Jalan Damanlela,
Pusat Bandar Damansara,
50350 Kuala Lumpur.

30th October 2000.

Yang Berhormat,

RE: Employment And Socso Benefits
===========================

My purpose in writing this letter is to appeal to YB as Minister of Human Resources, to assist me in resolving 2 pressing matters which are of great concern to me as a blind individual. The first matter which I'm referring to is with regards to employment as a DJ at RTM. After much difficulty, sometime in October of last year, I managed to secure a part-time job as a DJ at one of RTM's stations, namely Radio 4. Unfortunately however, as the job was given to me on a reluctant basis, I have now more or less lost the job after having worked there for about 6 months. For your information YB, I have already taken up this matter with the right channel concerned, that is by bringing it to the attention of the Minister of Information i.e. YB Tab Sri Khalil Yaakob. In order for YB to get a clearer picture of my situation, I am enclosing the copy of the letter which I sent to YB Tan Sri Yaakob for your perusal.

The other matter which I wish to bring to your kind attention is concerning socso benefits. Back in the mid-70's to mid-80's, I was attached to the Majlis Perbandaran Pulau Pinang as a telephone operator but since then I have had no permanent employment. As such, I tried to apply for a monthly subsistence allowance from socso but to my dismay I was rejected. I wish to inform YB that I've already made an appeal but I've so far not heard from the authorities as yet. I would therefore be most grateful if YB could kindly use your good offices to intervene into this matter and it's my fervent hope that it'll come to a favourable conclusion. My socso file number is A311LT00/3605.

It is gratifying to note that our government has constantly been reminding the general public of it's social obligations towards the less fortunate and from time to time I have even heard YB putting forward these views in this respect. I certainly wish to commend the government for it's very kind and considerate approach but is looks as though these pleas seem to have fallen on deaf ears when it comes to employment opportunities for the disabled. I have no doubt whatsoever that the disabled community will lead a much more dignified existence if more employment opportunities were opened to them, as is the case now. As we are all too aware, our government is trying to do it's best to enhance the lives of the disabled but as long as employers are still reluctant to give equal job opportunities to them, then, it is my contention that the disabled will not be given a chance to prove themselves.

Finally, I wish to take this golden opportunity in thanking YB for your very kind attention and I certainly look forward to your very favourable reply.

With regards,
Alfred Ho

P.S.

No response from Fong Chan Onn at all

No comments: