LETTER TO CONSUMERS ASSOCIATION

Dear Mr. Abdul,

With reference to our telephone conversation, as a blind individual,  I wish to highlight a problem which has
been plagueing consumers for a very long time now.  The matter that I am referring to is about merchants
taking advantage of consumers when the goods of the former are defective or or when the goods do not suit
the requirements of the latter.  When consumers try to seek redress by returning the goods and asking for a
refund, merchanst would normally decline to entertain the customer's request by sighting a clause in their
receipt stating that goods sold are not returnable. Correct me if I am wrong, but I clearly remember that the
consumers association has from time to time been putting out announcements reminding consumers that
merchants are obligated to give their customers a cooling off period on all goods bought and that if customers are not satisfied with the goods purchased, that a full refund should be made to the customer, as the clause in the receipts issued by the merchants stating that goods sold are not returnable, is not legally binding. I shall
now attempt to highlight a problem which I have recently encountered.

On 5th Oct. I purchased a guitar case from a music store in KL the name and address of the merchant of which  is as follows:

Woh Fatt,
37 Jalan Tun Tan Siew Sin,
post code, 55050.
telephone number, 20705968.

Having bought the guitar case priced at RM100 and having taken it home, I realized that the above mentioned product did not suit all my requirements and I proceeded the following day i.e on the 6th of Oct. to seek redress from the company for a full refund on the guitar case. When I approached the staff of the company namely, Woh Fatt, they refused my request and started to become abusive and arrogant. They even tried to insult my intelligence by saying that there is a clause in their receipt that states that goods sold are not returnable. When I did not budge and tried to reason politely with the staff of the company for the refund,  they became abusive, arrogant and threw insults at me.

Finally, i tried  to compromise with the staff of Woh Fatt by exchanging the guitar case for another model which was actually cheaper and requested that that the balance of the refund be made to me.  Needless to say, the staff of Woh Fatt flatly refused to entertain my request but tried to justify their actions in rejecting my request. They even had the audacity to have me make another trip to the shop in a few days time  without
considering the fact that I am a blind individual and the inconvenience that will be caused to me to come back as they claim that the salesman who dealt with me was not available, which in my opinion, was a very lame
excuse as any member of the staff of the company could have resolved the matter at hand amicably but chose not to do so.  As I knew that i was getting nowhere with the staff with regards to my request for the refund, I left the premises with the realization that I had been short changed by the staff of Woh Fatt, whose dealings with it's customers is most deplorable to say the least.

I sincerely hope that the consumers association will help me bring this matter to a just conclusion, so that
consumers will not be taken advantage off by unscrupulous merchants in future. Your kind co-operation in
resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours faithfully,

Alfred Ho.

No response from recepient

No comments: