Gerard Vincent, Programme Director, Time Highway Radio.

2nd Oct 1997.

Ever since you took up the post of programme director for the station, you have been trying to throw your weight around and finding fault with me in everything I do where my programme is concerned. On several occasions, you even threatened to take me off the air and I think that your high-handed approach was most uncalled for.

Many a times you had tried to put me down by continually criticizing me on my programme presentation and to my mind some of your criticisms have no basis whatsoever. You also questioned my technical capabilities saying that my recordings are not fit for broadcast, whilst at the same time you allowed substandard materials to go on the air. A glaring example is Albert Ng's retro show on 20th Sept 1997 at around 11.30am, when he played a very poor quality recording of Elton John's latest version of "Candle In The Wind". You do not need a keen sense of hearing to know that the source of the material was made via a bad telephone line  or at least a substandard cassette machine. Subsequently, this particular recording was even aired by some of your other DJs. How do you explain this? You are supposed to be a technical wizard but yet allowed this to slip through your finger-tips. On 21st Sept 1997, at around the same time, I heard one of your female DJ swearing on the air with these words "O MY GOD". I therefore question your credibility as programme director of the station, as you could not even prevent all these things from going on the air.

I recall that during one of my sessions with you, I was told that I should talk less and play more music. When I complied by playing 4 songs in a row instead of 2 as I used to do, you took me to task by threatening to take me off the air. You clearly thought that as programme director, you had the right to hire and fire but I think otherwise. You even had the audacity to warn me that I was not supposed to inform the listeners that certain songs were not on the play list and I'll have you know that even international stations, such as the BBC have no qualms about telling the listeners that they are not able to play certain songs that have been requested as these songs were not available at that point and time. As you are aware, almost 100% of the material that is aired over my programmes have been derived from my own collection of CDs and MDs. I put it to you that you are only trying to hoodwink the public into believing that THR has a well-stocked music library and we all know that to be false. I therefore conclude that this is a face-saving measure for the station and you jolly-well know that the truth will come out sooner or later.

You even pointed out to me that I should play more music and talk less. However, when I pointed out to you that certain of your DJs even clown around during their programmes to the extend of interrupting the music, you told me that you would put a stop to this once and for all. Subsequently, you went back on your word by saying that it was alright for certain DJs to clown around on their shows as they were reflecting the identity of the station. As I recall, both you and Puan Karimah expressed the view that it was most entertaining. I even recalled that when I disagreed, both of you took offence and stormed out of the meeting that we had recently.

Following that incident, you rang me up telling me how incensed you were that a listener should call you up to complain about my new programme format. As usual, you started to use vile threats but when I challenged your authority, you than decided to relieve me of my duties. I remember telling you that I would not take any orders from you and that I would like to have a meeting with Puan Karimah. You then subsequently arranged for me to have a meeting with both you and herself but I strongly believe that my fate had already been decided by the both of you. As it turned out, Puan Karimah's attitude was most uncompromising and as such my fate was sealed even from the word go.

I recall that during the meeting, I made you out to be a liar and I knew that there was no turning back. When I told Puan Karimah about your short-comings, you of course defended yourself but her ears were closed to what I had to say. It is my believe that both of you were in league with each other and as such, I knew for certain that my days in THR were numbered. It has therefore come to me as no surprise that my contract has not been extended, thanks to your evil schemes. You may remember that towards the end of the meeting, I did express the fact that I would expose all the injustices that have been going on and that handicap people should not be taken lightly. I am appalled at the manner in which the meeting broke up when Puan Karimah shouted "I'M GOING OFF."

I remember asking you as to why some of your top DJs had left the station and was told that when they did not get what they wanted, they tried to use strong-arm tactics and even went as far as to send you hate mail. "QUOTE - when they found that they were not getting anywhere, they had no alternative but to send in their resignations - UNQUOTE". I put it to you, Gerard, that you are the one that is using strong-arm tactics and I find you most intimidating, vindictive and above all egoistic. Let me remind you that you even tried to intimidate me by threatening to take me off the air should I not take heed of your warnings.

Gerard, I certainly hope that this letter will be an eye-opener for you and that you should not take handicap people lightly in future.

Alfred Ho

No comments: