FOOTNOTE (1ST JUNE 2008)


On 12/5/2008, I tried to hand a memorandum to PM Abdullah at Parliament House but was denied entry. The memorandum is with regards to a letter which I personally handed to him at his hari raya gathering in 2004 and although 4 years has gone by, he has decided not to entertain my pleas for assistance. However, I was able to hand the above mentioned memorandum to the assistant of Ng Yen Yen by the name of En Helmy who assured me that PM Abdullah would get the memo and that his boss would arrange for me to have a meeting with her to address the matter at hand. Some weeks have gone by and nothing has been heard from him (En Helmy) ever since.

Subsequently, on 1st June 2008, I tried to raise this matter up with Zaid Ibrahim (Law Minister) at the Question and Answer session at the National Press Club with regards to press freedom. However, after trying to raise the issue at hand, I was prevented from continuing in highlighting my problems to the Minister. It therefore begs me to ask this question, DOES PRESS FREEDOM REALLY EXIST IN THIS COUNTRY AND HOW LONG IS THE BARISAN GOVERNMENT GOING TO DISCRIMINATE AGAINST IT'S HANDICAPPED CITIZENS IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT THE MALAYSIAN GOVERNMENT HAS SIGNED THE UN CHARTER TO GIVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES OF EMPLOYMENT TO THE DISABLED COMMUNITY.

No comments: